[Sca-cooks] obstetrical food question...

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jan 27 12:31:15 PST 2009

Um, nobody may have mentioned it, but one of the reasons I've been pretty
peripatetic on the list is that I'm expecting a baby boy, due before
February 23, 2009. (We also moved to NJ a couple of months ago, just to
make everything more interesting, and most of my books are still packed.)

As a result, I've been re-reading some of my period obstetrical texts
(well, trust me, with Gestational Diabetes the modern 'you're having a
baby' books are less than helpful anyway) and came across the statement in
the _Rosegarden for Pregnant Women and Midwives_ that before a certain
point in the pregnancy one should eat costive foods, and towards the end,
laxative foods. This squares with advice from my nurse-practitioner, who
pointed out that getting the runs is sometimes considered a good way to
provoke labor.

Now, I'm familiar with the usual list of *modern* foods that *are* costive
(Bananas, Dark Chocolate, Rice, Tea, Applesauce, etc.) and that fresh
fruit in particular are usually considered laxative, both in period and
today. In fact, anything with high amounts of fiber is now considered
laxative.

But, since I can't lay my hands on my copy of Galen On Food and Diet, can
people suggest some other period/modern 'laxative' foods?

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net