[Sca-cooks] Bukenade?

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Jul 8 04:35:31 PDT 2009

In a message dated 7/8/2009 2:08:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:

<<It appears to be a sort of beef stew with red wine. I don't have a
copy of Forme of Curye.

Can someone post the original recipe here, and then we can see how
different people would redact it?>>

If it's the version I'm thinking of (and there are lots of recipes called
"Bukenade" out there), then it says to take whatever good meat you have, and
beef, boil it with onions, and add spices.  Lots of room for redactions
there :-)

OK, this is a different one, but there is still lots of room, and this one
is decidedly different than the other one I mentioned:

Bukkenade.  Take hennes other connynges other veel other othere flessh &
hewe hem to gobettes.  Waische it and sethe hit well.  Grynde almaundes
unblaunched, and drawe hem up with the broth; cast therinne raysouns of coraunce,
sugur, powdour gynger, erbes ystewed in grees, oynouns and salt.  If it is
to thynne, alye it up with flour of ryse, other with othere thyng, and colour
it with safroun.

Note that I have replaced all thorns with "th" and otherwise kept the
spellings as they are in my version.

Brangwayna Morgan
Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
Lancaster, PA