[Sca-cooks] OP--recipes for jamabalaya?

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 09:20:22 PDT 2009

If you need to make a roux Alton Brown has a super easy way to do it - when
we make gumbo we use his technique.

Apologies to any purists out there but Alton makes his roux in the oven.
You don't have to stand over it stirring and it doesn't burn.  It'll still
take time.

I've cut and pasted it here:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the vegetable oil and flour into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven
and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven,
uncovered, and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3 times throughout the
cooking process.

Good luck.

-S