[Sca-cooks] red currents

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Mon Jul 13 19:20:45 PDT 2009

Was written:

> Thanks, I read it yesterday- did not see any recipes for preserves,
> several mentions of use in various dishes as an ingredient.

Check Hess's "Martha Washington's Book of Cookery" recipe 213 page 360 "To
Make Jelley of Red Currans" and recipe 215 "To Make Jelley of Currans".
Also recipe 59 page 262 "To Preserve Gooseberries or Curran Berries" and
recipe 205 page 356 "To Make Quidony of English Currans".

You want me to transcribe any of these let me know as it is to late to do so
tonight. These are probably 16th century or possibly early 17th.

Will check other of my texts if you desire... just not tonight.

Daniel