[Sca-cooks] spoiled meat

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 21 04:55:44 PDT 2009

On Jul 21, 2009, at 7:14 AM, James Prescott wrote:
> Sure, in some extreme circumstances people might have eaten tainted
> meat
> heavily disguised, but only when desperate.  But you don't create
> recipe
> books out of such experiences.

Another possible venue for bad meat was sale through deception, such
as various dyes and pigments to make blackened meat look red again, or
pouring fresh blood over old meat. These practices were generally
illegal (which, often, is how we can tell they were sometimes
implemented), and none of them involved fruit, so far as I know.

And as with spices, dried fruits were not, as a rule, especially
inexpensive (it takes ~four to five pounds of grapes to make a pound
of raisins, plus possible transportation from whatever sunny locale
they came from), and so not an especially cost-effective solution.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter