[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP Preparing veggies for the Freezer

chawkswrth at aol.com chawkswrth at aol.com
Thu Jul 30 14:38:25 PDT 2009

As can happen in the Spring, I think I kinda, sorta overplanted. I have Squash...something like 30 plants To say that I am up to my waist in the lovely golden edible gourds is putting it mildly.

I have blanched and all before, doing the boiling water bath and sudden icing down method. Somewhere in my sweaty, sunbaked memory, I recall hearing about using the microwave to blanch water-based vegetables, such as Squash.

Has anyone done that? And can Squash slices be put in the dehydrator to dry them out a little and then freeze?

Is been a most interesting Gardening Year, so far. The rabbits ate the beans, and the Birdhouse gourds are threatening to take the place. The Mammoth Sunflowers are appoaching 12 feet tall, with no sign of a bloom. The Raccoons are eating the watermelon as soon as it gets ripe. But I will not trade you one moment of this experience of watching seeds turn into beautiful plants...unless you are willing to come help hoe. <grin> Hoeing the weeds out of the Garden is a wonderful experience everyone should share in, sometime. <grin>

Thanks!
Helen