[Sca-cooks] Looking for info on the Royal Progress of Henri II in1536

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jul 25 17:58:25 PDT 2009

He wouldn't have had a royal progression.  Henry II of France was 17 and had
only become the heir to the throne with the death of his brother, Francis,
Duke of Brittany, on August 10, 1536.  He would not become king until 31
March 1547 with the death of his father, Francis I.  His coronation was 25
July 1547.

On 28 October 1533, at the age of fourteen, he married Catherine de Medici.
According to Leonie Frieda in "Catheine de Medici," the marriage took place
in Marseilles.

In the spring of 1536, Henry was involved with the taking of Savoy and the
Piedmont in Northern Italy as part of his father's campaign against the
Hapsburgs.  Emperor Charles V responded by invading Provence.  The war
continued until stopped by an armistice in 1537, followed by a 10 year truce
in 1538.  While I haven't been able to precisely locate him, Henry was
probably in Northern Italy in October 1536.  He was almost certainly in the
field during 1536-37, rather than being on a royal progression.

Bear