[Sca-cooks] OOP: beginner's bread books

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 29 19:37:52 PDT 2009

Judith / no SCA name yet posted her recipe for simple bread.

Thank you. I'll have to try this. I used to make sourdough bread but
that was over half a lifetime ago.

However...

<<< No-Knead Bread

3 C flour, any kind, sifted, in a bowl
? tsp active dry yeast (dry or wet, but NOT instant)
2 tsp salt (I increase this to a full tablespoon)
1 ? C warm water

The first day:

Mix dry ingredients together with a fork. Amounts need not be
painfully precise; this recipe will accept some fudging. >>>

You seemed to have fallen for a mistake that hits many new people
here, thanks to Microsoft and its "I know better than you" defaults.

Unless you turn it off, Microsoft Word assumes you want to replace
most common fractions with special, single character fraction
characters. Unfortunately, when you copy and paste these into most
mail lists, they get lost.

So while I can guess, and the recipe says it is tolerant of imprecise
amounts, I prefer to start with a known good recipe. So what are the
fractions supposed to be in the ingredient list above?

Also, I'm familiar with dry yeast which comes in little envelopes at
my local grocery or wet yeasts available for brewing, but what is
"instant" yeast?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------