[Sca-cooks] OOP: beginner's bread books

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Thu Jul 30 21:50:51 PDT 2009

Ah! The fractions show up fine on my computer, so I had no idea that
it wasn't coming through. Corrected amounts for the No-Knead Bread
recipe:

3 C flour, any kind, sifted, in a bowl
ONE-HALF teaspoon active yeast (dry or wet, but NOT instant)
2 tsp salt (I increase it to a full tablespoon, which is equal to
three teaspoons)
ONE AND ONE-HALF cups water (the recipe says warm, but it can be cold
too, just not HOT)

As for the "instant" yeast, it's this horrible stuff that will create
a lot of fluff in your dough, but not impart a single bit of flavor. I
prefer to cut my yeast in half or less, then let it rise over a day
and a half to two days instead. That is, I mix up the dough on
Wednesday night, stick it in the fridge, and pull it out Thursday
night so that I can bake it Friday morning and have the bread ready
for Sabbath that night.

Thanks for asking for the clarification -- I hope the added
information helps a few folks.

Judith / no SCA name yet