[Sca-cooks] pressed sugar

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 31 23:09:06 PDT 2009

When my sons were little (my youngest is soon to be 40) I would at
Easter time, make them pressed sugar eggs. Yes, some even had a
diorama in them. what can I tell you, I'm German.  My question is:
is pressed/molded sugar period?

Bertha

I believe it's Hugh Plat (17th century England) who gives us some
pretty detailed instructions for casting objects in boiled sugar syrup.

Adamantius
----------------------

Are these "pressed sugar eggs" white and somewhat dull finished? As if
they were sugar pressed into a mold with a binder? Or are they smooth
and translucent? If they are the latter, then I'd agree with
Adamantius (or did I guess wrong on the appearance of boiled sugar
syrup, Adamantius?). If the former, then I would say they are closer
to sugarplate or sugarpaste.

Sugar-Paste-art   (20K)  8/23/06    "Sugar Paste: A Cook's 'Play
Dough'" by Dame
                                        Alys Katharine, O.L., O.P.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Sugar-Paste-art.html
sugar-paste-msg  (126K)  1/ 9/08    Making sugar paste sotelties.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-paste-msg.html
Sugarplat-Adv-art (14K) 11/15/05    "Adventures with Sugar Plate" by
Count
                                        Gunthar.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Sugarplat-Adv-art.html

Stefan