[Sca-cooks] GeoCities is closing in October

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 31 18:27:47 PDT 2009

I don't recall if i've sent this to this list or not. I apologize if i am being redundantly redundant.

--- Edited Message - Not All Edits Are Noted ---
Dear Yahoo! GeoCities customer,

We're writing to let you know that Yahoo! GeoCities, our free web site building service and community, is closing on October 26, 2009.

On October 26, 2009, your GeoCities site will no longer appear on the Web, and you will no longer be able to access your GeoCities account and files.

What You Need to Do
If you'd like to move your web site, or save the images and other files you've posted online, you need to act now by choosing one of the following options:

(One. is moving to Yahoo paid web hosting)

Two. Download your files to your own computer.
With your pages and images saved offline, you can re-create your site with any hosting provider.

Don't Wait
Please be aware that after October 26, your GeoCities files will be deleted from our servers, and will not be recoverable. If you'd like to save your files, you must download them now or move to Yahoo! Web Hosting.

I thought of this because there were links to GeoCities sites in some recent messages.

If you have favorite sites, i suggest saving your best beloved web pages to your own computer for your personal use. Apparently some folks are working with Web Archive (aka The Wayback Machine) to save as much as they can.

I will really miss GeoCities free web hosting, not only because i have or have had four sites there, three having nothing to do with the SCA. And i even get nostalgic for some of those really horrible personal sites of the mid- to late 90s. They had a certain naive charm, compared to all the commercial websites today and all the blogs, which i don't find as useful as a web site.

Anyway, if you have a site on GeoCities, take heed! And if you have sites you love (or at least find useful or entertaining) on GeoCities, start saving 'em now. It'll all be gone in fewer than 87 days.

Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita