[Sca-cooks] IQF? was Re: red currents

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 19 14:12:48 PDT 2009

Thank you, Adamantius!  I had never heard of that process before.  Could you expand a bit on how you can achieve this? Especially for those home cooks, like me?

Many years ago, I decided to do 'a dish full of snow' for 300+ banqueters.  I didn't want to have to purchase and prepare 300+ apples, so I decided to use strawberries instead.  I carefully froze 300+ strawberries on cookie sheets and they looked so perfect in their frozen state.  However, the day of the banquet, as I was defrosting them, they collapsed into mush before my disparing eyes.  So I changed the 'dish full of snow' to strawberry mousse, which, though not period, at least was extremely popular.

If I had done that water bath method, would that have kept the strawberries from becoming mush, or was that decision doomed from the beginning?

Huette