[Sca-cooks] IQF? was Re: red currents

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 19 20:50:18 PDT 2009

On Jul 19, 2009, at 5:12 PM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> Thank you, Adamantius!  I had never heard of that process before.
> Could you expand a bit on how you can achieve this? Especially for
> those home cooks, like me?

Well, what I'm talking about is really an industrial process. There
are probably gas compressors and funky chemicals involved, normally.
The dipping in water method might help somewhat, but it's still rather
a far cry from what's done with raw shrimp, say.

> Many years ago, I decided to do 'a dish full of snow' for 300+
> banqueters.  I didn't want to have to purchase and prepare 300+
> apples, so I decided to use strawberries instead.  I carefully froze
> 300+ strawberries on cookie sheets and they looked so perfect in
> their frozen state.  However, the day of the banquet, as I was
> defrosting them, they collapsed into mush before my disparing eyes.
> So I changed the 'dish full of snow' to strawberry mousse, which,
> though not period, at least was extremely popular.

Sounds like you made a 17th century strawberry fool. ;-)

> If I had done that water bath method, would that have kept the
> strawberries from becoming mush, or was that decision doomed from
> the beginning?
>
> Huette

Sometimes there's no really practical way to freeze things and not
have them undergo some structural change. Strawberries have a lot of
water in them, and it expands as it freezes, which tends to mess up
cell walls. There are chemicals you can use to limit the damage, and
it helps to freeze things really quickly, also to limit the damage,
but it's hard to completely prevent it in some foods.

I'm not sure to what extent a water dip before freezing would have
improved the finished product, assuming no chemical additives to the
water. As I say, for some things, freezing just isn't going to be good
for it. I'd almost want to suggest a light blanching in simple syrup
before freezing might be best (and still not perfect).

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter