[Sca-cooks] Instant yeast was Re: OOP: beginner's bread books

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jul 30 22:52:53 PDT 2009

Instant yeast is produced through a drying method that presumably kills less
of the yeast than the normal drying method.  It has some additives to
improve leavening.  And it has a fine granularity than normal dry active
yeast.  SAF Red and Fleischmann's Rapid Rise fall under the term "instant"
yeast.  The advantages of instant yeast are it costs less, you use less, and
it is less likely to fail than active dry yeast.  The primary disadvantage
is the speed of the rise, which doesn't allow time for flavor to build.  To
get around that, use a two stage dough, where you build a sponge 12 to 24
hours before preparing your dough and use the sponge as the leaven, or use
the quarter sponge system where you produce the dough in three stages.

Bear