[Sca-cooks] newbee cook attempting feast for the first timeindecember

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 15:05:04 PDT 2009

Well, if you're cooking for a large number of people, you pick period dishes
that are simple and easy to fix.  You make sure that a goodly part of the
prep can be done ahead of time.  You shop around well in advance to make
sure you find the best possible prices on that food (I usually go to at
least four or five different places to find what I need at the best possible
prices...and that doesn't include the stuff I often have to purchase
online).  You have a couple of pre-cooks to get stuff done that can be done
ahead of time...IMHO, this is a very large part of this.  If you've been
doing this for any length of time...or if you have good friends who have,
you have sources for redacted recipes and for experience with the dishes so
that you have some idea as to expense and time involved.

It's not easy and it necessitates a lot of planning ahead...but it can be
done.  I've eaten wonderful, period feasts that have been fed to large
numbers (200 or so) that I know were brought in for under budget.  And, in
my own experience, I brought my Middle Eastern feast last February in under
budget by over $100.  All of my dishes were period...and folks seemed to
enjoy them.  I fed 80 this time, but last year I fed about 150 and still
came in under budget.

Hope this helps....

Kiri