[Sca-cooks] Bacon

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 9 07:39:58 PDT 2009

On Jun 9, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Michael Gunter wrote:

>> The translation does not specifically call for pork
>> fat, but salt pork would probably fit the recipe.
>>
>> Bear
>

> After much experimentation with making Zervelat
>
> last year with sometimes very unfortunate results,
>
> I have found that pork belly is definately the way
>
> to go. I have also added regular thick cut smoked
>
> bacon to the recipe with wonderful results. But
>
> you definately need the pork belly to give the correct
>
> fat "mouth-feel" that we are used to with good
>
> sausages.

I would add to that (from my own sometimes less-than-stellar
experience) that no matter how new, sharp, clean and cold your grinder
is, and how cold your fat pork is, it is better to chop it with a
knife if possible, rather than grinding it. The lean meat is less of a
problem in that regard, but since the fat is basically oil (albeit a
saturated fat that is more or less solid at room temperature) stored
in tiny little bags, for a moist sausage you want to disturb these as
little as possible, and burst as few of the little membrane-pockets of
fat as possible in the chopping process.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter