[Sca-cooks] newbee planning feast in winter, blog

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jun 18 20:02:37 PDT 2009

> Bear replied to Elisande with:
>
> <<< Very nice.  As to your question about fish, let me say "salt  cod."
> Salt
> preserved cod and herring were staples of the Hanseatic trade.
>
> Bear >>>
>
> What would you suggest as a modern source for salt cod or herring,  Bear?
> I've seen some salt cod sold in little wooden boxes. Rather  expensive for
> a feast, even considering that the drying has reduced  its weight.
>
> Some fresh fish was available in winter, depending upon how far you were
> from the sea and how rich you were.
>

> Stefan

Here in Ansteorra, I'd call Bodeans Fish Market and ask.  In Europe, I'd
probably check with the local fishmongers.  Since bacaloa (Spanish), baccala
(Italian), and bacalhau (Portugese) are a multinational family of dishes
that use salt cod, Elisande, who is in Germany, might have an easier time
getting salt cod.

As a cheat, I might brine a little frozen whiting from Walmart.  Other than
catfish, it's about the cheapest fish available to us.

Bear