[Sca-cooks] Camp cooking challenge

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 08:19:22 PDT 2009

Indoors, I'd just use a broiler and grill it that way.  Or possibly use
either a stovetop grilling pan or one of the many available electric
grillers.  I'm not sure what your indoor capabilities are, but that'd be my
thought   Another possibility is to take salmon and smoke it ahead of time,
then serve it cold, day of.  That also has worked very well for me.  You
could smoke it as soon as you purchase it, then keep it refrigerated until
you need it.  A nice dill sauce (I haven't looked them up but feel certain
that there are period recipes for this) would be wonderful with it.

So far as the fish going bad, you've got a point.  I understand (from one of
Alton Brown's programs) that freezing a fish doesn't really hurt it...it's
just the refreezing, which isn't good to do anyway  So find somewhere you
can get the fish fresh, then, if needed, freeze it, thawing it out just in
time to use it

If you're cooking over an open fire, doing some kind of soup/stew in a dutch
oven would work...or do as they did in period:  boil the meat until it's
close to done then roast it over the fire.  If you can put some kind of drip
tray under the roast to collect the drippings and use that to make a sauce.

Just some thoughts....

Kiri