[Sca-cooks] kippering

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Jun 24 21:42:00 PDT 2009

There's the very useful
Dictionary of the Scots Language:
http://www.dsl.ac.uk/
**Kipper **, /n/. Also: *keiper*, *kep-*, *keypyr*. Add: Also attrib.
with /salmont/. — (1)
For a keiper xi d.; *1512* /Household Bk. Jas. IV/ 13 b.
For ane kypper xvi d.; /Ib./ 17 b. (2)
Coft i kepyr salmont pryce xiiii d.; *1512* /Household Bk. Jas. IV/ 2 b.
For ane keypyr salmont xx d.; *1512* /Ib./ in /Facs. Nat. MSS./ III. x.
Now as a verb--
**Kipper **, /n/. Also: *keiper*, *kep-*, *keypyr*. Add: Also attrib.
with /salmont/. — (1)
For a keiper xi d.; *1512* /Household Bk. Jas. IV/ 13 b.
For ane kypper xvi d.; /Ib./ 17 b. (2)
Coft i kepyr salmont pryce xiiii d.; *1512* /Household Bk. Jas. IV/ 2 b.
For ane keypyr salmont xx d.; *1512* /Ib./ in /Facs. Nat. MSS./ III. x.

†** KIPPER **, /v/.^2 To trifle (Abd. 1928).
**Abd.* *1902* /E.D.D./:
Fat gars ye come * kipper *in wi a thingie like that?
[Prob. an irreg. variant of Eng. /caper/.]

**kIPPER **, /v/.^3 With /up/: to pile or stack objects loosely and
carelessly (Mry.^1 1925, Abd.^27 1959).
**Abd.*^15 *1928*:
Dinna be * kipper *in it up on that heech skelf, an’ haein it fain’ doon
an’ brakkin.
[From Kip

OED lists it as "Etymology uncertain". One wants to think it might have
to do with 'keeping' or 'preserving' which turns up under 'kip*'
searches in the MED.

Moffett mentions that salmon "for towards Winter they wax kipper, full
of kernels under their throate like a measeld hogg, and lose both their
redness of fles ...."
Izaak Walton mentions "that the He Salmon susually bigger then the
Spawner, and that he is more kipper, & less able to endure a winter in
the fresh water, then the She is;..."

So the term may have come from the earlier term for a male salmon.

Johnnae