[Sca-cooks] Davidson seafood book was Re: Salt cod and kippering

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 27 13:30:34 PDT 2009

Stefan wrote: Is this just a good book on seafood? Or does it also deal with seafood during the period we study?

I have the Mediterranean seafood book of Davidson, it's primary use to me as a translator and cook of pre16th C Italian recipes is that I can actually get some idea of what a Gilt head is.  The Italian sources use a lot of Mediterranean fish, there is no Salmon, no Cod (other than salted for both), no catfish, very few of the fish I can actually find in my grocery store or at the fishmongers.  So I have to look at the description of the fish and how it is used which allows me to decide which of the limited number of fish readily available to me in the MidWest (Salmon, Catfish, trout, Cod, Tilapia, Perch) will work in the recipes I have which talk about Gilt heads and sturgeon, eels and other wondrous creatures.
I'd say invaluable for anyone working with a Mediterranean cuisine.
Helewyse