[Sca-cooks] possible-or not-oop question

edoard at medievalcookery.com edoard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Jun 29 07:07:20 PDT 2009

The closest (late) medieval recipe I'm aware of is this one for stuffed
cabbage:

To make a stuffed cabbage. Take a red cabbage that is not too large, &
put it to boil whole sweetly, & leave it so a long time that you can
open the leaves the one behind the other, while the leaves of the
cabbage are large like a fist, cut that out, & put chopped meat therein
that it will be arrayed like the other meats with eggs & spices, & then
layer the cabbage with the leaves all around, that it will be well
bound, & put it to cook, sausages with, or that which you want.
[Ouverture de Cuisine, France, 1604]

Avelyn Grene has her version of the recipe online at
http://greneboke.com/recipes/stuffed_cabbage.shtml

- Doc