[Sca-cooks] OT OOP: American Cancer Society Relay for Life

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 08:13:22 PDT 2009

Good Friends,
It is time once again that I come to you to ask that you contribute to the
American Cancer Society's Relay for Life...our Barony is a team participant
in the Relay for Life of Calvert County.  We do this each year because we
all have experienced the disruption that this awful disease can cause in our
lives.  Either we've had the disease (I am a three-time survivor...colon x 2
and breast) or because a friend or family member has had the disease.  I
personally have lost both parents to cancer and a step-mother to the
side-effects of radiation.  I also have lost one very good friend a little
over a year ago and have another who has been battling breast cancer for 10
years...she is in stage 4 and will be traveling to the M. D. Anderson clinic
in Dallas to participate in a medical trial.  Without the work of the ACS, I
would not be here, and my good friend would not either!

About 80% of the funds that we raise is spent on doing research within the
ACS, funding research grants from new researchers, providing community
programs for cancer patients and their caregivers (Reach to Recovery, Road
to Recovery and Look Good,Feel Better are but a few), education about
prevention and, on occasion, television advertising like the Birthday
commercial currently being shown.  Relay for Life has grown from a single
isolated event in Washington State where a doctor thought he'd try to raise
money by walking around a track for 24 hours, to an international effort and
the signature fund-raising event of the ACS.

It is my hope that you will see fit to contribute to my effort.  To do so,
you can go to my Relay web
page<http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09SA?px=3678599&pg=personal&fr_id=13230>and
contribute.  The site does accept credit cards.  Rest assured that you
will have my deep gratitude...and that your money will help save the lives
of millions of people.

Kiri

MKA Elaine Koogler