[Sca-cooks] newbee cook attempting feast for the first time in

Jenn Strobel jenn.strobel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 07:44:00 PDT 2009

Elisande,

A caution about cooking with chestnuts in the form of a short story.

Two years ago, I served Chestnuts at a feast.  In order to peel the
chestnuts, you need to cut an "X" on the bottom and then boil them.
You can peel them pretty easily when they're hot but as they cool,
they become harder and harder to peel.  At one point, nine people were
drafted to peel chestnuts and it did get done.  I think that I thanked
people for a solid hour because when I tested things at home, peeling
two cups of chestnuts didn't take the effort of peeling about 10 cups
of chestnuts cooked in two batches took.

The chestnuts were delicious and everyone loved them, but I would
never again do chestnuts without shelling them well in advance.

Because I have to learn things the hard way so others don't have to :-)

Regards,

Odriana

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:33 AM, brooke white
<traumspindel at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thank you this is very helpful. All sugestions. Jenn's comment gives me a
> clear option for planning, but the other comment were helpful since I can
> use them to adjust. I am also now delving into the *seasonal* aspect of
> planning by looking for recipies including chestnuts or chestnut flour,
> sloes and rotabaga...first weekend of december.. In drachenwald that would
> be the least *variety* date you could possibly get... red cabbage and the
> classics I know from, mundane cooking, but the more exotic stuff...is a
> challengeThank you for your help
> Elisande

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
-Frank Zappa