[Sca-cooks] Bacon

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 8 17:34:22 PDT 2009

On Jun 8, 2009, at 8:10 PM, James of the Vayle wrote:

> I know this has been brought up before, but I am having trouble
> searching
> through my thousands of archived emails.
>
> I am making bratwurst, a recipe out of the Sabrina Welserin text.
> What is
> the bacon? Back bacon I feel, obviously not American bacon.
> Take four pounds of pork and four pounds of beef and chop it finely.
> After
> that mix with it two pounds of bacon and chop it together and pour
> approximately one quart of water on it.

I'd interpret it as four pounds of lean pork, four pounds of lean
beef, and two pounds of boneless fresh pork belly, which would bring
the total fat content up to a reasonable level, probably around 20% if
there's still a little fat in the other meats.

Less than that, and sausage tends to be dry, and more than that, and
it's too greasy to most people's tastes.

You could probably use an equal amount of hard back fat or kidney fat
if you can't get fresh belly or side meat.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter