[Sca-cooks] Salt cod and kippering

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jun 25 21:41:08 PDT 2009

One thing I noticed in these posts is that no one mentioned
Alan Davidson's excellent books on seafood and fish as sources
of information. I thought I would mention them.

These include North Atlantic Seafood and Mediterranean Seafood.
The write up to the latest edition of the latter reads in part:

"Mediterranean seafood is a topic as vast as the riches of that fabled
sea itself. Written by distinguished food historian Alan Davidson
(author of The Oxford Companion to Food), MEDITERRANEAN SEAFOOD is a
seminal work of culinary scholarship. The new edition catalogs edible
marine life and provides identifications in a dozen languages and over
100 line drawings. Davidson puts knowledge into practice with 240
skillfully presented recipes, culled from cuisines throughout the
region. Davidson's work possesses the quixotic charm of the true
enthusiast; his practical discussions are enlivened by touches of witty
erudition that will delight those new to the subject, as well as readers
steeped in the biology and culinary traditions of the Mediterranean.
The original edition won the prestigious Glenfiddich Award for best food
book and was translated into five languages.

The third is his SEAFOOD OF SOUTH-EAST ASIA.
Copies are available for very little money on the used market
or there are nice in print paperback editions.

Johnnae