[Sca-cooks] OT- Peerage Oaths

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Sun Mar 1 23:23:58 PST 2009

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> I'm going through some of my back digests and noticed this message
> from 'Lainie.
>
> What is the difference between a "Peerage Oath" and the oath used to
> swear fealty in the SCA? This may be the first I've heard of two
> different oaths by the same person for essentially the same thing. Or
> are they?
What do you mean *the* oath?  Different Kingdoms and different orders
use different oaths.

> I like 'Lainie's idea of swearing fealty with my hands between those
> of my liege, if the King was someone I respected highly, such as
> Gunthar, but I guess that is also crossing over between fealty to a
> person and to an institution.

I swore fealty holding the hands of their Majesties Theuderic and Engelin.

> For you Peers out there, that swore an oath, was the oath you swore a
> generic one, or one that you created for yourself or one taken from
> medieval times?

I swore thusly:
 From this hour, I become your man, for life, for limb, and for worldly
honour.  I will be true and faithful to to the Crown of Lochac, never
cause it harm and will observe my oath to it completely against all
persons in good faith and without deceit.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?