[Sca-cooks] OT- Peerage Oaths

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 1 23:03:35 PST 2009

I'm going through some of my back digests and noticed this message
from 'Lainie.

What is the difference between a "Peerage Oath" and the oath used to
swear fealty in the SCA? This may be the first I've heard of two
different oaths by the same person for essentially the same thing. Or
are they?

While I'm directly this to 'Lainie since it was her comment, I'd be
interested in hearing from others as well. (otherwise I'd have sent
'Lainie my question by email).

I like 'Lainie's idea of swearing fealty with my hands between those
of my liege, if the King was someone I respected highly, such as
Gunthar, but I guess that is also crossing over between fealty to a
person and to an institution.

For you Peers out there, that swore an oath, was the oath you swore a
generic one, or one that you created for yourself or one taken from
medieval times?

Thanks,
Stefan