[Sca-cooks] nutmeg poisoning

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 4 03:59:00 PST 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 3:11 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Wow. And that wasn't a cheap cake, either. Nutmegs, although not as
> expensive as saffron, even per use are still fairly expensive.
> Especially if bought at the grocery store with only four or five per
> bottle. I believe I read somewhere that nutmeg was (one of?) the
> most expensive spices.

After saffron, I think vanilla and cardamom are most the notorious
"luxury" spices. Nutmeg isn't cheap, but I'm not sure if it's
considered expensive in spice terms.

Here's a random somebody's price list for spices (long pepper and
grains of paradise don't appear to be listed); I'm in no way endorsing
them, I just plucked them from The Googles as an example to show
prices per pound of different spices:

http://www.alternativescentral.com/pricelist-bulkherbsspicesA.htm

Adamantius

bellies."