[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Media Inquiry for Historic Cooks/Hearth Cooks

Mark S. Harris MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 6 22:19:34 PST 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 6:37 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

<<< I saw one episode of one of these shows featuring one family who was
devoted to things medieval. Under normal circumstances they probably
looked a lot like many people we all know - or are. But on the show
they seems weird and out of touch with reality. I don't remember the
other family - clearly very buttoned-down, organized, and "modern".>>>

I found the "modern" family to be stuffy, closed-minded and rather
boring. Money and shopping in fancy stores seemed to be their main
interest in life. Which may say more about me than them.

Adamantius said:
<<< As I recall, the "modern" family (which was not without its
dysfunctional aspects, which were of course downplayed) was both
chosen and actively portrayed to serve as contrast to the "medieval"
family, who were... well... very, very much into the middle ages, but
also with certain aspects of their lives emphasized so as to make them
appear as web-footed, inbred, insane, and home-schooled-in-
questionable-material as was humanly possible.

I expect there may be people like that family, but I think they came
across as more time-travel extremists than they actually were, and
this was probably intentional.>>>

Probably. I liked their farm and their horses though. Wish I had that
place. Sigh.

<<< I guess it depends on how badly you need $20K. Do you get it for
participating, or do you have to "win"? Whatever that means?>>>

Each family gets $20K just for participating. The catch is that the
"loaner" mom gets to specify how the money is distributed and what it
is to go for. Some seem to try the best for their host families and
take their desires into account. Others obviously keep pushing their
own agendas, such as high-priced bibles for the non-believing family.
I don't know what forces the family to spend the money the way the
other mom specifies, though.

Stefan
======
Mark S. Harris
Electronics Engineer, Board and Systems Design
MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris