[Sca-cooks] Has anyone held a salt tasting?

gaylinwalli at gmail.com gaylinwalli at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 17:18:22 PDT 2009

I'm in the process of compiling my notes on salts from our researched time
periods. At some point in the future I'd like to hold a salt tasting in our
barony and passing along those notes in a trial run of a more formal class
I'd like to teach. I'd be curious to know if anyone has held a salt tasting
or attended one. Yes, I know about the articles in the Florilegium. Yes,
I've Googled. Yes I've read Kurlansky's book and a host of others.

What I'm really looking for is what people have experienced and what they
have found most useful or unsuccessful about the salt tastings they have
attended. Specifically, I'm hoping to teach a mixed group of both new and
experienced amateur cooks some things about what they can accomplish with
various kinds of salts and how they can apply that knowledge in the context
of cooking feasts or dinners or even just dishes that we research.

Can't wait to hear about your experiences,

Iasmin