[Sca-cooks] Easter Observances

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:13:56 PDT 2009

sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org wrote:
> Hot Cross Buns - traditionally associated with Good Friday.  Early
> Egyptians
> offered their moon goddess cakes marked with horns symbolic of the horned
> ox
> they sacrificed at the altar. Early Greeks presented horn-inscribed cakes
> Astarte and other deities.   The Romans ate cross-bread at sacrificial
> feasts, and the Saxons inscribed loaves with a cross in honor of Eostre,
> the
> goddess of light (See Easter).

I attended a boarding school in Providence, R.I. for a semester a while
back. On Ash Wednesday I went with other pupils to a High  Episcopalian
service before breakfast. When we took communion the priest made the
sign of the cross on our foreheads with ashes. When we returned to the
school for breakfast hot cross buns were served. I was told that was the
traditional Ash Wednesday breakfast in those parts.
Suey