[Sca-cooks] Easter observances

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Tue Mar 17 17:01:43 PDT 2009

Bear wrote:

<< They are mentioned ... in John de Garlande's Dictionaries
Paris 13th Century), simineus or simnenels were the equivalent
of the Latin placentae. >>

Please bear (!) with me and help me with some questions:

How and where can I access these dictionaries? There is more than one, right? Which languages are these dictionaries about? I mean, "simineus" seems to be latin, "placenta" is latin. Is this from a Latin-Latin dictionary?

I find "simnenels" in several web documents, is this something that is found in a 13th century dictionary?

If i am not mistaken, "placenta" is used for all sorts of cakes. How do we know that there is a special connection to Easter food habits?

Comments?

E.