[Sca-cooks] John de Garlande's dictionarius on pie/pastry and the work of the pastillarii

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Wed Mar 18 16:38:51 PDT 2009

Here is a passage on pies/pastries from John de Garlande's dictionarius [please correct dictionarium in my previous mail to dictionarius]:

"Pastillarii quam plurimum lucrantur, vendendo clericis pastillos de carnibus porcinis,

et pullinis, et de anguillis, cum pipere, exponendo tartas, et flaones fartos caseis molibus

et ovis sanis et frequenter inmundis."

The commentators and their glosses:

-- Pastillarii / pye-makyers

-- pastillos / pasteys

-- pullinis / chykyns

-- anguillis / helys

-- tartas / tarlatys

-- flaones / flathen

-- fartos / ystuffyd

-- mollibus / nessche

A translation of the passage might sound something like:

The pie-makers make a lot of money selling to the clerics/church-men pastries/pies made of porc meat, of chicken meat, of eels, with pepper, showing tarts and flans filled with soft cheese, and with eggs that are safe but more often are "problematic"

I wonder if there are recipes extant in the cookery books for these kinds of pies/pastries.

E.