[Sca-cooks] Mud oven - repost, sort of.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 25 01:43:21 PDT 2009

Bear said:

<<< Dumping hot ash into the space under the oven can be a fire
danger and may
be hazardous to whoever is loading the oven.  The only ovens I've
seen that
have open space underneath are Roman ovens that were set up outdoors
where
using the space to protect the firewood from rain might be an
advantage. >>>

Why is dumping the hot ash into the alcove under the oven any more
dangerous than dumping it somewhere else? Where somewhere else? What
do you carry these live coals in, when moving them to this somewhere
else? Now, we think metal shovel. But back then shovels tended to be
of wood. But perhaps they wouldn't scorch too badly. But scrapping
out the coals, letting them fall to the ground and then scrapping
them into the hole doesn't sound too bad.

I don't remember these alcoves as being very big. Would they be big
enough to store enough wood to heat an oven hot enough to be of use?
Perhaps just to hold enough wood to start a fire to then dry out more
wood, but that seems like a convoluted solution.

I think some folks here have fired up and used mass ovens. How much
wood did it take to heat up the oven sufficiently?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com