[Sca-cooks] lunch ideas- feedback

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 29 16:26:54 PDT 2009

On Mar 29, 2009, at 1:59 PM, Susan Lin wrote:

> Back in the East I wasn't allowed to make a meal or a sideboard
> without
> honey butter for the bread - I think it might have been a rule or
> something!!

FWIW, I've never lived anywhere else but the East, and I've found that
a response of, "Well, that's good food, but I think we can do better
from among foods that are not only good, but were actually commonly
eaten in the Middle Ages" works pretty well upon claims that A Feast
Is Not  A Feast Without Such-And-Such  -- generally in response to
demands for Giant Hunk Of Roast Beef, Honey Butter, etc.

I also think that we're a pretty well-mannered bunch, and we probably
get more complaints about the lack of honey butter at business
meetings, where events are planned, than at events themselves, where
the cooks are plainly working their collective sirloins off to make a
beautiful meal for the group.

It's possible that either things have changed, or that they change at
different speeds in different places, but I think in my region, at
least (and probably elsewhere), Easterners are pretty receptive to the
idea of SCAdians who are both good cooks and who've studied period
food, giving them a little crash-course in food periodicity when we
feed them.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter