[Sca-cooks] cracked ginger? almond milk

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 30 16:07:33 PDT 2009

Ilsebet gave her redaction (creation?) for a compote recipe and said:
<<< I used a lot of cloves, a good bit of mace, some allspice
(to sub for cubebs), cracked ginger (from Penzey's), and some black
pepper.>>>

What is "cracked ginger"? I've heard of "candied ginger",
"srystalized ginger" and "cracked pepper" but haven't heard of this
before.

<<< Next feast,
I may try some of the almond-milk recipes for the special diet folks,
but using rice milk instead. >>>

I thought you originally meant recipes for making almond milk, but I
guess you are talking about recipes that specify almond milk. Unless
you were avoiding the almonds, I was wondering why you wouldn't just
make almond milk.

If I'm wrong, and/or you can actually use almond milk, here is
Florilegium file, in the FOOD section that has some useful
information on making your own. While you can buy it, the commercial
stuff often has additional emulsifiers and such added to it and isn't
that much cheaper.

almond-milk-msg  (100K)  1/12/08    Making almond milk. Recipes.
Deskinning nuts

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas