[Sca-cooks] Arts and Sciences; bread

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 31 04:00:16 PDT 2009

Bear said:  "Rather than try to figure out the sponge requirements, I'd use a couple
teaspoons of dry active yeast to a quarter cup of warm water to approximate
the ale barm."

thought about that but I really really wanted to try for something that would approximate period Manchet so I intentionally did not use active dry yeast.

And, I didnt think of it until now but I believe I have an 1850s recipe for bread (From "The Donnor Party Cookbook" ... laugh all you want .... I work with the author so my copy is autographed) that uses the starter sponge.  It is similar to Manchet.  Have to see which diary Terry got it from and try to determine ethnic origin of the author to see if there is a connection ..........

cheers

Malkin

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

Never knock on Death's door.
Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.

I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.