[Sca-cooks] Arts and Sciences; bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Mar 31 12:12:37 PDT 2009

> Bear said:  "Rather than try to figure out the sponge requirements, I'd
> use a couple
> teaspoons of dry active yeast to a quarter cup of warm water to
> approximate
> the ale barm."
>

> thought about that but I really really wanted to try for something that
> would approximate period Manchet so I intentionally did not use active dry
> yeast.
>
> Malkin

Using dry active yeast is actually closer to the recipe than creating a
sponge.  S. cerevisiae, which is the organism in dry active yeast, is the
top fermenting yeast that produces ale.  You can make a home version of dry
active yeast by plating ale barm, letting the liquid evaporate and scraping
off the residue to use as a leavening.

Bear