[Sca-cooks] OT- Peerage Oaths

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 4 21:41:05 PST 2009

HRM Gunthar, the Still King, replied to me with:

<<< We also allowed that any knight who wishes to swear a personal
fealty
may do so at any other Court other than Coronation and they would be
granted the honor of being the first order of business. I would never
command or demand knights to give me fealty as has been done by
other Kings. Once the oath is sworn and the person chained that oath
continues until it is nullified either by the individual or Society. >>>

Thank you. I think this is a good way to handle this. If not forced
or demanded, then I think such oaths have more validity, and should
be regarded by the Crown as a complement on their leadership skills
and the respect they generate.

<<< Oh, and one thing we did at our Coronation was we found a period
oath
and made a couple of changes to better suit our game. This got away
from the Tolkien oath that is used so much. Well, we attempted to use
the period oath but with everything else going on Elizabeth and I kept
forgetting the words and just ad libbed it anyway. But at least we made
the attempt! >>>

I'm not going to begrudge the West Kingdom their Tolkien-based oath,
after all, they been using it for quite a long time there, but I'm
happy that, and congratulate you on, your finding a period oath and
trying to use that. Was this done in Latin or English?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com