[Sca-cooks] food allergies, life choices, issues

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 5 21:47:37 PST 2009

Shoshanna asked:

<<< My query is:  How do you attend to people with food allergies,
issues, life
choices?  >>>

See this file in the Florilegium FEASTS section:
  ingred-lists-msg  (18K)  4/ 6/07    Posting ingredient lists at SCA
feasts.

We've had innumerable discussions on allergies and whether to try to
accomadate people, the problems with doing so, the logistics problems
involved etc. However, I think general consensus was to post an
ingredient list, do not deviate from it, and leave it to the
individuals to pick and choose what they can and can not eat. Of
course it is also best not to use one ingredient in all of your
dishes, whether it was on sale or not.

<<< Vegetarian/Vegan - I always have at least one, usually more than one
vegetarian dish available.  As for Vegan - I try but I cannot always
promise.  I will often use vegetable broth instead of chicken if the
rest of
the dish is all vegetables. >>>

In the FOOD section:
vegetarian-msg    (78K)  4/ 2/08    Medieval vegetarianism. Lenten
foods.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas