[Sca-cooks] food allergies, life choices, issues

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Mar 6 16:31:43 PST 2009

In a message dated 3/5/2009 2:15:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
susanrlin at gmail.com writes:

<<My query is:  How do you attend to people with food allergies, issues, life
choices? >>

My rule of thumb for this is that no single ingredient will occur in more
than 1/3 of the entire number of dishes for the feast, and I am scrupulous about
supplying accurate ingredient lists, including a label for any commercial
products I've used.  Other than that, it is up to the person with the issue (be it
allergy, distaste, or anything else) to use the information I have provided.
I am MORE than happy to be called out to a table if someone isn't sure which
dish is which.  As a general rule, I will not make alternate versions of
dishes leaving out one specific ingredient; that's too much extra work for me.

<< Also,  how often do you make a dish you can't stand just because
it is a good/period dish and you know others will enjoy it?>>

One of my best friends regularly made mushroom pies for his feasts, because
they were much in demand - despite the fact that he is deathly allergic to
mushrooms.  I honestly haven't found too many properly-prepared period dishes that
I "can't stand", although I've found some that aren't my favorites.  If I
thought that specific dish was the right one for the feast, I'd make it anyway.
Chances are I'm going to eat very little of the feast anyway, so I'm not
making it for me to enjoy.

Brangwayna Morgan
Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
Lancaster, PA