[Sca-cooks] Grilled Tuna - recipe for my upcoming feast

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 10 15:49:15 PDT 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 6:37 PM, Euriol of Lothian wrote:

> I’m currently in the process of planning a feast for the end of May
> that is
> based on Spanish Recipes and testing recipes out of Ruperto de
> Nola's "Libre
> del Coch"  and flipping through the pages of the book I saw a recipe
> for
> Grilled Swordfish and Grilled Tuna. I thought to myself, I would
> like to
> make one of these for my feast. So at the store yesterday I found some
> frozen tuna steaks and thought I’d give the tunae recipe a go. Mind
> you, I
> had only glanced at the recipes about two weeks ago and could not
> remember
> any of the details. With tuna in hand and whatever was in my cabinet I
> decided to cook it for dinner tonight. Rereading the recipes I saw
> that the
> treatment of the sauce was very similar.
>

> These translations are by Lady Brighid ni Chiarain as posted in
> Stefan's
> Florilegium
>

> 189. Swordfish on the grill
>
> EMPERADOR EN PARRILLAS
>
> Cut the swordfish as if you were going to roast it, and remove
> everything
> that is inside; and set it to roast on the grill, greasing it with
> oil,
> little by little. Then make your light sauce which is orange juice,
> and
> pepper, and oil, and salt, and a little water; and you will put all
> this in
> a small pot, and when they want to eat, put it on a plate; and cast
> on the
> said sauce with the other herbs: parsley, and mint, and marjoram.
>
> 209. Tunny on the grill
>
> TOÑINA EN PARRILLAS
>
> Take from the tunny the part near the belly, well-cleaned, and
> grease it
> with oil; and also grease the grill, and set [the tuna] to roast
> over a few
> coals, and grease them from time to time with oil; and then make
> your thin
> sauce with water, and salt, and oil, and orange juice, and pepper,
> and all
> the good herbs shredded or cut small; and when they want to eat, put
> your
> fish on the plate and cast that sauce on top; and if you wish to make
> another sauce, such as arugula or another, let it be according to your
> pleasure.
>

> This is what I did:
>
> 1 lb. Tuna Steaks
>
> Olive oil to baste
>
> Salt and pepper to taste
>
> (For the Sauce)
>
> ¾ cup orange juice (made from concentrate)
>
> 1 tbsp. lime juice
>
> 1 tbsp. lemon juice
>
> 1 tsp. orange zest
>
> ½ tsp. kosher salt
>
> ½ tsp. grains of paradise (I have run out of black pepper in my
> [...]

Nice work!

If you're of a mind to try it, I think there's oil in the sauce;
possibly similar to a modern herbed vinaigrette, only made with sour
orange juice (although the combination you used sounds like a good
substitute) instead of the more usual vinegar or lemon... that'd give
you a slightly different texture, too.

Hmmph. Now I'm going to go look at my meat loaf, and it's just not
going to look the same. Thanks ;-)

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter