[Sca-cooks] Easter observances

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Mar 17 19:31:09 PDT 2009

> Bear wrote:
>

> << They are mentioned ... in John de Garlande's Dictionaries
> Paris 13th Century), simineus or simnenels were the equivalent
> of the Latin placentae. >>
>

> Please bear (!) with me and help me with some questions:
>

> How and where can I access these dictionaries? There is more than one,
> right? Which languages are these dictionaries about? I mean, "simineus"
> seems to be latin, "placenta" is latin. Is this from a Latin-Latin
> dictionary?

The Dictionarius of Johannes de Garlandia (AKA John de Garlande AKA John of
Garland) is a Latin word list of the trades and tradesmen in Paris with an
interlinear glossing in Old French.  Published in 1220, it is believed to be
the oldest use of the word "dictionary" in referring to a list of words and
definitions.  I do not have access to a copy.  My information on simnels
from it is through secondary sources.  The Dictionary appears to have been
reprinted a number of times.  About 10 years ago, John Campbell, Ph.D., of
the University of South Florida was preparing a text entitled, A Bilingual
Edition of the Dictionarius of John of Garland, for publication.  There
doesn't seem to be any easily accessible edition of the Dictionarius, but
Johnnae or one of the other librarians on the list may be able to help us
look.

> I find "simnenels" in several web documents, is this something that is
> found in a 13th century dictionary?

According to my information, which I consider reliable, but not confirmed,
yes.  The simple answer is, of course, subject to shift in usage and the
vagaries of translation.

> If i am not mistaken, "placenta" is used for all sorts of cakes. How do we
> know that there is a special connection to Easter food habits?
>

> Comments?
>

> E.

Placentarius means "pastry."  The usage I have seen is for pastries formed
in a pie shell, Cato's placenta being the best known.  A loaf type pastry
appears to be "dulcia."  A fried pastry appears to be "patina."  Since I am
most definitely not a Latin linguist, I can not be certain of the
correctness of my interpretation of the terms.

C. Anne Wilson traced the recipes for simnel cake and came to the opinion
that the Medieval simnel cake, which is first boiled then baked (much as a
modern bagel), may have evolved from the combination of recipes for placenta
and emeum.  Placenta (according to Cato's recipe) is a tort-like confection
of a filling of cheese and honey placed between thin sheets of dough and
baked in a pastry shell.  Emeum is a confection steamed in a sealed
terracotta pot and removed by breaking the pot.  While her basic contention
is unprovable, the similarities and relationships of language and recipe
make a logical case for her opinion.

Simnels are a feast bread permitted by regulation to be baked for specific
feasts and festivals including Easter.  We know that there is a special
connection between simnels and Easter, particularly Mothering Sunday.  If
Wilson is correct, then simnels are an evolution of placenta and by that
connection are related to Easter food habits.  What is unknown is when the
connection between the pastry and Easter developed.  It is possible that
placenta became related to Easter during the five centuries Christianity
co-existed with the Roman Empire, but the evidence I've seen can only tie
the relationship between Easter and simnels back to the late-13th or
early-14th Century.

It would not surprise me if placenta was a festive food of the early
Christians in Rome.  Giacosa is of the opinion (although she states no
reasons) that Cato's placenta was meant to be fed to slaves.  While Cato
predates the Christianity by over 150 years it's possible that placenta was
and remained a slave food and became related to Christian festivals.  When
one considers that a large part of Christian ritual and community is tied to
the sharing of food, then it becomes even more intriguing.  If you come
across anything for or against the idea, please let me know.

Bear