[Sca-cooks] John de Garlande was Easter observances

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Mar 17 20:47:01 PDT 2009

Maybe this will help.
Thomas Wright, /A Volume of Vocabularies/ (London: Joseph Mayer, 1857)
pp. 120–138.

Volume two appears pops up in Google Books --- UM copy.
Volume One is what we need.
A Volume of Vocabularies: Illustrating the Condition and Manners of Our
Forefathers, as Well as the History of the Forms of Elementary Education
and of the Languages Spoken in this Island from the Tenth Century to the
Fifteenth
By Thomas Wright
Published by Privately printed, 1857
Item notes: v. 1
Original from Harvard University
Digitized Feb 19, 2008

It's here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=S7MVAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:0l_r60bSWP20G#PPA3,M1

See Chapter VIII beginning on page 120.

John Campbell still seems at work at what he was doing. He's given
papers but it's listed on his CV as
Article: Preparation of John of Garland's Commentarius: the
transcription and collation of the unpublished text for submission for
publication.
Monograph: Preparation of a school text: a critical edition and
bilingual text with commentary of John of Garland's Dictionarius.

Simenel can be looked up easily now in the Middle English Dictionary too
*simenel* (n.) Also *siminel*, *simnel(le*, *simnele*, *simnille*,
*cimnel* & (?errors) *sennel*, *sonnel*, *sawnel*.
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/med-idx?type=byte&byte=180710609&egdisplay=compact&egs=180715978

Hope this helps and keeps my reputation intact. What would you all do
without me?

Johnnae