[Sca-cooks] Masters at Arms

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 25 09:12:26 PDT 2009

Ansteorra has had several MoAs and in the early years most

of our high-ranking fighters were Masters. Atenveldt was almost

exclusively Masters for their first years mainly because their

biggest influence was from Duke Richard of Montroyal, MoA.

I had a friend, Sir Starhelm Warlocke (shows just how old those

days were), who lived in Meredies at the time he was offered

the accolade. He wanted to be a MoA like his teacher at the

time, Duke Lloyd von Eaker. The Crown sent him away saying

they would only make Knights. Unfortunately for the Crown

Starhelm happened to be dating Katherine Kurtz who was

the Steward of the Society at the time. After many angry

words and threats Starhelm was eventually granted the only

"Knight Bachelor" in the Society. He wore a White Belt but

never swore fealty and was not allowed to wear the chain.

When I was approached to be elevated I nearly decided to

become a Master because I never felt I'd be courtly enough

for knighthood. I can see myself as more the weaponsmaster

who teaches the young squires and knights. But I decided that

all my life I wanted to be a knight. Not the same as, but different.

So I was belted and chained and have spent the next two decades

trying to live up to it.

I believe that a knight swears his oath but once and all the other

times are just re-affirmations of that original oath. If I don't kneel

before the Crown and say the words does not mean I'm not in

fealty. I also feel that the knights are the only group this rule

applies to.

Baronies in fief are the only group who are required to swear fealty.

Officers swear oaths of service, which are different.

Any other oaths sworn are gifts of personal fealty to the personages

wearing the Crown.

Yers,

Gunthar