[Sca-cooks] Georgia on my mind ...

Celia des Archier CeliadesArchier at cox.net
Sat Mar 28 12:33:22 PDT 2009

Gianotta said:

<<What I am really, really looking forward to is getting some actual soul food and Southern home cooking. I am so up for chicken and
waffles and real collard greens, barbecue, what have you. Point me the way to some good sweet potato pie, and I will cry with
happiness. There had been this awesome soul food place near me in Pennsylvania, featuring real Georgia-style barbecue, mustard-based
potato salad, collard greens, etc. the family had emigrated up from Georgia in the '60s. Fox's Soul Food, the place was called. And
it closed when the matriarch died. You can get just about every other cuisine in Bucks County, but real soul food, unfortunately,
has been gone since Fox's closed.

Sweet tea, here I come!>>

Ahhhhh!  Sweet tea!

I know how you feel... I'm a Southern expatriate living in San Diego. Originally from Nashville, by way various places (most
recently Atlanta, GA), I knew the one thing I would miss would be real country food.  The closest we have out here is a KFC, and
they alter the sides so that they're not really southern anymore.  And there was one little soul food place in an area of town I
don't see very often that makes Southern fried catfish, but I don't even know if they're still there.  I miss fried catfish, fried
southern fried catfish, *real* southern biscuits (made with a proper southern flour!) and *country ham*!

The closest thing to real country cooking is almost 200 mi away from me in Yuma (that's the closest Cracker Barrel) and I have no
car, so I either have to have friends willing to road trip, or I have to greyhound it (and spend an additional $70-100 on the meal
;-) .)  I haven't gotten that desperate yet, but it's been more than 5 years since I was back home, so who knows... I could get that
desperate eventually.

{sigh!}
Celia