[Sca-cooks] lunch ideas- feedback

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Mar 29 10:22:48 PDT 2009

>I have volunteered to create a lunch for 50 at an event in June,
>warm weather here in Ealdomere. This will be my first contribution
>to my canton, in this my first year in the SCA. The budget is $100-
>which may go to $150 if I whine a little. Is this budget doable?
>
>Suggestions would be appreciated. I have been told that period food
>is not necessary, but I would like to have one or two period items.
>I only have one period cookbook- Take a Thousand Eggs.

You also have an internet connection. Our Miscellany has several
hundred worked out period recipes, and other people have period
recipes online as well.

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

I think it should be doable--just look for period recipes that use
relatively inexpensive ingredients, such as chicken, assuming you
have reasonable prices on that where you are, and eggs, and bread
crumbs, and ...  .

Some of the things we're fond of that would work well are Barmakiya,
gingerbrede (not what moderns call gingerbread--texture of fudge,
easy to make, keeps, lots of people like it), Khushkananaj (medieval
islamic pastry), Badinjan Muhassa (medieval islamic dip, serve with
pita, as an extra bonus its vegetarian). You don't say whether you
have a kitchen on site or will be bringing cold food--all of the
above fit the latter situation.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com