[Sca-cooks] Arts and Sciences; bread

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Mar 30 14:51:33 PDT 2009

>I made and entered Manchet for one of two entries  in our local Arts
>and Sciences competition.  I am sort of ashamed to say ... I sort of
>cheated ....
>

>I took the original, converted weight to cups and divided the whole
>by 12 ... giving me a recipie that started with 10 cups of flour
>instead of half a busheland 1.5 cups of water instead of one gallon.

You don't say where the original manchet recipe was from. Given the
relative shortage of bread recipes, I'm curious. Is it clear whether
it's using sourdough or barm from beer or ...  ?

I've been having fun of late doing sourdough breads. The King Arthur
Flour cookbook has a detailed discussion of how to do sourdough
bread, including spending about three days getting your starter
really lively, which seems to work very well.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com