[Sca-cooks] Special diet friendly sweets - the results

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Mar 30 16:16:46 PDT 2009

I've done various recipes calling for beets with both chard and beet
greens/tops; I believe I've done torta bolognese this way. Basically, as
far as I've been able to determine, chard (Beta vulgaris L. subsp. cicla)
is actually 'leaf beets'-- i.e., the beets called for in most period
recipes. Root beets are Beta vulgaris L. subsp. vulgaris.
So, I use beet leaves when I have 'em and fill out with chard.
-- Jadwiga