[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium files for March

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 9 00:22:14 PDT 2009

Greetings to folks on the SCA-COOKS list,

Here is a copy of my monthly Florilegium article for March, detailing
what is new in the Florilegium this month.

I have added an RSS feed for the Florilegium website. If you are
already reading RSS feeds, please add the Florilegium RSS feed to
find out when new and updated files as well as new features get added
to the website. If you are unfamiliar with RSS, or Real Simple
Syndication, is a method built into many web browsers as being
available as a separate tool, which lets you find out when the
contents of your favorite websites has been updated or changed. You
can find out more about RSS at this link as well as elsewhere: http://
rss.softwaregarden.com/aboutrss.html  If you find this feature
useful, please let me know. I have no way of knowing if you are
finding it useful or not through the system itself.

Like much of the economy, web advertising revenue is down. If you see
an ad on the Florilegium that is even a little interesting to you,
please click on it. The amount that I get for displaying the ads is
highly dependent upon the percentage of people who click on an ad.
Even if you don't buy anything, each click brings ratings up and
increases the amount of money advertisers are willing to pay for each
ad displayed. I'm trying to keep the amount of advertising as small
as I can and as useful as I can. The more money I can get per ad, the
less ads I need to display to keep the Florilegium running.

If you will be attending Gulf Wars in a week or so, I will be
teaching my class on the Florilegium twice and my hands-on pewter
casting class twice. Please feel free to come by and say hello or
find me in the Barony of Bryn Gwlad campsite opposite the Ansteorra
gate.

Thanks,
Stefan
----------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I have added an RSS feed for the Florilegium website. If you are
already reading RSS feeds, please add the Florilegium RSS feed to
find out when new and updated files as well as new features as they
get added to the website. If you are unfamiliar with RSS, or Real
Simple Syndication, it is a method built into many web browsers, and
also available as a separate tool, which alerts you when the contents
of your favorite websites have been updated.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation
and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially
interested in A&S papers.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
    SC-Potrero-art       Calafia Siege Cook Off at the Potrero War.
In the CRAFTS section:
    Workng-Beswax-art    "Working With Beeswax" by Master Bedwyr Danwyn.
In the FEASTS section:
    12thN-Caerthe-msg    Caerthe's 12th Night Feast in 2008.
    Fst-4a-Prince-art    A feast for the Prince of the Mists by
                            Urtatim, based on Ottoman Turkish dishes.
In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
    cookbooks4-msg       Reviews posted between 8/99 and 7/00.
    cookbooks5-msg       Reviews posted between 8/00 and 1/07.
    Md-Cu-Islmc-Wd-rev   A review by Urtatim of "Medieval Cuisine of
                            the Islamic World: A Concise History with
                            174 recipes" by Lilia Zaouali.
In the SCA-INC section:
    Courts-knelng-msg    Kneeling when called into an SCA Court.
In the SCA-STORIES section:
    An-SCA-History-art   "An SCA History of the Entire Known World"
                            by Sir Batshit ap Llewellyn FitzDogroot
                            of Frontbottom.
In the TRAVEL section:
    winter-travel-msg    Winter travel in Medieval times. Skis,
                            snowshoes, ice skates.
In the UNCATALOGUED section:
    Ciphers-art          "Ciphers: Enciphering and Deciphering period
                            ciphers" by Seigneur Lucien de La Rochelle.

Here are the updated files for this month.
    cookbooks2-msg       Reviews posted between 9/95 and 1/98.
    cookbooks3-msg       Reviews posted between 1/98 and 7/99.
    fd-Mid-East-msg      Period food of the Middle East. Recipes.
    fd-Sicily-msg        Food of medieval Sicily.
    fd-transport-msg     Transporting cooked and prepared food.
    food-gifts-msg       Period food items that make good gifts.
    knitting-msg         Period knitting.
    largess-ideas-msg    Ideas for largess and gifts. Royalty gifts.
    lentils-msg          Period lentil dishes and comments on lentils
    merch-spices-msg     Spice merchants. Reviews and recommendations
    venison-msg          Medieval and modern recipes for venison.
    wine-msg             Medieval wines.
---
Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas